Public Transport Forum New Zealand is hosting a half day Lets Connect Communities Workshop on Thursday 29 June 2023, following on from The Future is Rail Conference on Wednesday 28 June 2023, to discuss the concepts of an integrated 'subsidised' national public transport network connecting Aotearoa New Zealand 6 main centres with provincial cities, large towns, semi rural towns and rural communities in all 16 regions, using urban metro/regional buses, passenger trains and ferries and inter-regional passenger trains in association with other forms of passive subsidised and non subsidised passenger transport modes.
Aotearoa New Zealand has a lot of trains, buses, ferries and more, yet it's not easy to get around the country by public transport, so how can we make it work better for people?
Come along, find out and help define the future of public and passenger transport in Aotearoa New Zealand.
The workshop will be a mixture of presentations and interactive discussions.
Some of the topics / themes that the workshop will be discussing and work-shopping on:
- Introduction to, and role of, Public Transport Forum – key players
- The “Let’s Connect Communities” vision
- Key takeaways from the Future Is Rail previous day conference and collecting themes from there
- Technical definition - Linked up subsidised “turn up and go” PT and broader Passenger transport
- National integrated ticketing system – How is it traveling and what will it enable?
- How do people currently travel around Aotearoa New Zealand?
- Which bits are public transport? How does it differ from commercial passenger travel eg Intercity buses, etc
- Reforms required to create equitable national public transport across the country - Land Transport Management Act 2003 – Passenger Transport Operating Model (PTOM) and the “Sustainable Public Transport Framework”
- Government Policy Statement on Passenger Transport – changes required to make this happen
Lets Connect Communities Workshop will be held on the Thursday 29 June 2023, with arrival refreshments from 8.30am, Workshop starting 9.00am to 12.30 pm at the -
24 Hawkestone Street,
There will an informal get together hosted by Public Transport Forum New Zealand at the hotel's bar, the evening of 28 June 2023 starting 7.00pm.
The workshop is free, however it would help us with planning and catering, if you could pre-register by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Accommodation for both The Future is Rail Conference and the Lets Connect Communities Workshop are available.
Accommodation reservation can be made directly with the hotel by:
- Online reservations
- Phone +64 4 473 2208
Terms of payment for accommodation will be on a 'Guest to Pay on check out' basis guarantee by a Visa/Mastercard credit/debit card or Amex credit card.
If you would like to attend The Future is Rail Conference conference, details are available at - https://www.railconference.info
For further background information concerning the Lets Connect Communities Workshop are available in the following discussion concept plans: